Our hats are all made the traditional way in Ecuador. They are all hand woven and fairly traded. Our collection of differently styled Panama hats are made from natural “paja toquilla” (toquilla straw) which is far cooler and breathable than synthetic materials or cheap replicas. Although the Panama hats get their names from being worn at the Panama Canal, they are actually originally made in Ecuador.
Their flexibility and the fact that you can roll them for traveling, makes them unique!
The sizes are in centimetres and based on the circumference of the head passing across the middle of the forehead. Our smallest is 55cm and the largest 60cm. As all our hats are handmade, the brim size varies slightly but it normally measures between 6-7 cm. Please choose your size when placing your order – we will gladly exchange your hat for a different size if it turns out to be the wrong one.
You may also wish to consider our basic Tumi cardboard Panama travel tube or our Tumi balsa wood Panama travel box. If so, just search for them on Amazon.
Tumi was founded in 1978 promoting fair trade crafts and goods with Latin America, working closely with organisations such as Traidcraft and Oxfam Trading. Tumi has worked with our hat makers in Ecuador for many years and ensure that we pay a fair price (set by our partners), good working conditions and a sustainable future for our workers.
Please note that your hat will not be posted rolled up/folded. It will instead be posted in a box large enough to accommodate it without it being folded. The reason for this is that you should wear a Panama Hat for a few days/week before first rolling it. This allows the hat to adapt to the shape of your head and develop flexibility. Failure to do so will result in damage to the hat and shorten its lifespan.
- Genuine hand woven rollable Folder Panama hat – Made from very light and breathable natural Toquilla Straw – Black band outside with comfort band inside
- A proven classic that will never go out of fashion! – Look at our other products to see our full collection of differently styled Panama hats. They are all hand woven from natural materials, making them far cooler and breathable than synthetic materials or cheap replicas
- Perfect hat if you are planning on rolling it up regularly for travelling- it comes with info on rolling and care
- Fair trade imported from Ecuador – Available in sizes 55-60cm – Makes a great and unique gift
- We also sell travel tubes and balsa travel box.